Author: Brice Verhoog
I LOVE Spanakopita, but I hate dealing with phyllo pastry, so this is my simple and delicious way of getting my fix without all of the extra work. It is great for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even a healthy, protein-filled snack!
- 11 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup soft, unripened goat cheese
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, very finely diced
- 2 tbsp Epicure Lemon Dilly Dip Mix
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs, cottage cheese, onion, goat cheese, garlic, Epicure seasoning, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Let it sit while you prepare the spinach (this is important to bring out the flavour of the Epicure Dip Mix).
- Finely chop all of the spinach. If you have a food processor or a blender that will do it for you, you can pulse the spinach in several batches in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Transfer spinach to the egg mixture bowl and stir to combine.
- Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with expeller-pressed/refined coconut oil (you can use extra virgin coconut oil or olive oil, but you will change the flavour slightly).
- Divide half of the spinach mixture among the 12 cups to about ¾ full. This is made in 2 batches.
- Bake until set, about 18-20 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate. Serve warm.