Chicken, Mushroom & Asparagus Crêpes
Author: Brice Verhoog
- ¾ stick (6 tablespoons) of butter or ghee
- ¼ cup Cloud 9 gluten-free baking mix
- 1 cup of whole 2% organic milk (or coconut milk)
- ¼ cup of cream (or coconut milk)
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup shallot, chopped
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4-6 tbsp of Everything Garlic seasoning by Flavor God (my new LOVE)
- 2 cups of chicken thigh, finely chopped (9 oz)
- 3 tablespoons medium-dry Sherry or white wine
- 1 lb thin asparagus, trimmed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- I like to make the crêpes first because you never know how long you are going to need or how many batches you will need to make if you are new to making them. Also, they can be made ahead of time as long as they are sealed and kept in the refrigerator for up to two days. So go ahead and make them. See my Gluten-Free Crêpes recipe.
- Heat 5 tablespoons butter or ghee in a heavy saucepan over moderate heat until foam subsides. Whisk in flour and cook roux, whisking, until pale golden, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually add seasoning, milk and broth, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Reduce heat and simmer gently, whisking frequently, until sauce is silky and thick, about 20 minutes. Reserve ½ cup sauce for topping. *Note: if the sauce thickens too much, add a little more milk.
- Cook shallot in remaining tablespoon butter or ghee in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Now add the chicken thigh and sherry (or wine) and sautee for 6-7 minutes or until cooked through. Stir it all into sauce.
- Cut tips from asparagus and set aside. Cut enough stalks into ¼-inch pieces to measure 1 cup, reserving remainder for another use. Cook asparagus in the now-empty skillet until crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove tips and set aside. Stir the rest of the asparagus into the sauce.
Assemble and bake crêpes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread ¼ cup filling across center of 1 crêpe and roll into a cylinder. Transfer, seam side down, to a baking dish that has been oiled or buttered, then assemble more crêpes in same manner, fitting them snugly. Bake in middle of oven 15 minutes.
Make topping while crêpes bake:
- Stir together yolk, 2 tablespoons cream, and reserved ½ cup sauce until smooth. Season with salt and pepper (or some more Flavor God seasoning if you would prefer).
- Spoon topping over crêpes and broil 5 to 6 inches from heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Put 2 crêpes on each of 8 plates and top with asparagus tips and a little seasoning for flourish.