Greek Lemon Meatball Soup
Author: Brice Verhoog
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 3 tbsp dried onion
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ carrot, grated
- 3 tbsp dried dill
- 2 tbsp Epicure Greek Seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Epicure Lemon Dilly Dip Mix
- 3 tbsp Better than Boullion Beef Stock
- 4 eggs
- the juice of 4 lemons
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- Place all the meatball ingredients (except the beef stock goo) into a large bowl or your stand mixer bowl, knead the mixture squeezing the ingredients with your hand until smooth or use the paddle attachment on your stand mixer on level 3 for several minutes. Leave the mixture to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. (This will prevent the meatballs from breaking up when boiled.) Form the meatballs and set them aside.
- Pour into a large pan 5 cups of water and bring to the boil. Add the beef stock. Turn the heat down and gently add the meatballs in the water, put the lid back on and cook for 20-25 minutes. (The water should be enough to cover the meatballs, so add some more warm water if needed)
- To prepare the egg lemon sauce for the Greek meatball soup, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add the lemon juice and the flour and whisk well. Add into the bowl a ladle of hot soup and whisk quickly. Add one more ladle and whisk again until combined.
- Stir in the egg lemon sauce into the soup and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until warm but not boiling.
- Serve this extra warming Greek meatball soup, while still hot with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- Make sure that you do not cover any left overs until they have cooled; the sauce may curdle otherwise!!