Not Your Mama's Oatmeal Cookies
Author: Brice Verhoog
These are not your Mama's oatmeal cookies. There is lots of oat goodness and the delicious addition of maple syprup to sweeten!
- 1 cup instant oats
- ¾ c oat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon or even better, Primal Palate's Apple Pie Spice
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- ½ c maple syrup, good quality
- ¼ c dark chocolate chips (or raisins if you would prefer)
- Whisk together the coconut oil or butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir in the maple syrup.
- Add in the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon or Primal Palate Spice, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Fold in the chocolate chips or raising.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes. This is VERY important. It will make sure your dough does not spread too much and you will get a proper chewy cookie.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Drop the cookie dough into 12-15 rounded scoops onto the prepared sheet, and flatten just a tad.
- Bake at 325°F for 11-16 minutes. This will greatly depend on whether or not you are using a gas or electric oven and how old it is so just keep an eye on them or TASTE TEST the first batch before putting in the next so you can gauge how long the next batch should go in for. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
It is extremely important to measure both the oats and flour correctly using the spoon and level method or a kitchen scale. Too much of either will dry out the cookies and leave them crumbly instead of chewy. It is also very important to not skip the chilling portion of the recipe because that will also change the chewy quality of your cookie.