Reality Check ~ I have bought into many fad diet and exercise gimmicks in the quest for balance in my life. I have accepted the fact that I will probably be teetering on the edge of throwing caution to the metaphoric wind with regards to what is best for me, until my dying day. I have made peace with the thousands of dollars I have “wasted” in that quest because in the end, I have always recognized that my goal is to feel good and BE good to myself for the health of my body and mind.
Yes, I have probably wasted money that could have been spent on more productive things; I could have bought a house sooner or bought and paid for a new vehicle before I did. Maybe I would have even gone on another trip overseas or been smarter and squirreled it all away for a rainy day. But here’s the thing: when I think of all of the things I could or should have done, I have to own what I have and will do as well.
I have never been afraid to try something new. This has probably lost a lot of money over the years, but it has brought me so much more than it has cost me. My curiosity has gotten the better of me, but it has also allowed me to experience some outrageously wonderful things and places. So I soldier on and try new things again and again. Maybe this will get the better of me one day, but for now I love to experience and to share what I have learned.
Most recently, my fervor for trying new things has brought me toBulletProof Coffee. I simply had to see for myself if this was the real deal or just another hyped-up product that was thrown out there to shock and awe the huddled masses of Gluten-Free and Paleo enthusiasts.
I would like to state for the record that I am not being paid to advertise, nor talk about BulletProof Coffee. I simply wanted to see if I should be jumping on the bandwagon to improve my physical and mental self and I would like to share with you what I have learned. This is a summary of my experience with Upgraded Self products specifically. All of my opinions are my own.
First: Rationalizing My Purchase
I started out my BulletProof coffee experience by doing a little research into what goes into and where to buy this so-called wonder coffee and the theories behind what makes this coffee the ultimate choice for anyone looking for their usual caffeine fix in the morning. There are of courseMANY (seriously, SOOOO MANY) schools of thought on the subject.
The basic idea is that the benefits of the product include:
- Making you feel energized, alert, and focused all day without the crash of energy drinks (the oil is 18X stronger than coconut oil).
- It can melt body fat and increase muscle mass.
- It’s made with high quality unsalted grass-fed butter, so it tastes great and provides important fatty acids like CLA.
Paleo and cross-fit enthusiasts the world over, swear by this wonder coffee and all of its intended benefits. Yoga goers and many nutritionists are not sold on the idea of putting hunks of butter into their morning cup of joe. A lot of people have made a lot of pro and con lists. I hate lists. So I bought the coffee.
Choosing to do this right, I purchased BulletProof Coffee from the source and got it from the website of the “original” creator (I use quotations because who really knows if Mr. Asprey was the first person to invent such a thing, but I was willing to take his word on it and get it from him the first time). My experience was pleasant and my items arrived fast and in a very pretty box I must say.
Second: Preparing the Wonder Tonic
During all of my research, I never paid much attention to the procedure of BulletProof Coffee and trust me, there is a procedure. Listed above are the directions in making this morning wonder and I have to say, it seemed like a lot of work, even for an espresso machine aficionado like myself.
It is recommended that you use the above outlined recipe using the pour over method of preparing coffee grounds along with the rest of the recipe to truly get everything it has to offer. I don’t like to say that I didn’t do it all, so I sadly put away my espresso machine for a few days and did it the long and involved way.
My first thought when preparing my morning fuel was that it took me three times as long to make myself a cup of coffee. As a parent, I was not sure I wanted to continue spending that kind of time on myself in the morning, but I pressed on as Asprey had intended. I have mixed feelings about the first taste of my concoction.
On the other hand, it was bitter. The lack of toxins and limited processing that the BulletProof name prides itself on in its beans made it taste as if it was not quite ripe. I’m not sure if that is a thing when it comes to coffee, but that is what was going through my head as I finished my first cup.
Final: Several More Cups and the Verdict
I said before that I have made peace with the fact that I have spent money on products that did not work out for me, but I do not do so lightly. In saying that, I will let you know that I did not waste my BulletProof Coffee. I had several more days of it just the way the instructions stated to get a real feel for it. Then I tried it my own way to see if there was any difference.
This is what I tried:
- Brewing their beans as espresso in my machine – Don’t do it. The beans are very different.
- Using my own espresso beans and preparing the coffee as directed – I enjoyed it MUCH more without the BulletProof beans.
- Eliminating the Brain Octane oil from the recipe and replacing it with coconut oil – It may be just a matter of opinion, but I did not get as much FOCUS without the Brain Octane and I was doing the same general tasks and got around the same amount of sleep the night before.
After all of that messing around with my favourite beverage of the day, I have come to a few conclusions.
- Do not take this coffee lightly. If you are not exercising and eating right, there is no way this is the miracle product for you.
- This product did not curb my appetite as it had been advertised, in fact, it fueled it. That did not seem so bad as I was making good choices about what I ate, but if I had not been paying attention, it could have ended badly for me.
- I did not enjoy the bitterness of the proved toxin-free beans. I am a coffee connoisseur and I need my coffee to be rich and dark and nutty tasting on its own.
- As a parent, when I have approximately 7 minutes to make myself a healthy meal and a cup of coffee in the morning, I don’t want to spend it entirely on preparing the coffee…especially not for coffee I do not enjoy every last drop of.
- I LOVED the Brain Octane product and would purchase it again. I have continued using it in my morning coffee, or sometimes in my smoothies if I choose to go that route in the morning. It is truly a wonderful mind focusing agent and I found it made a big difference (especially for baby brain ladies, I’m just saying).
Now that I have said ALL of that, I will continue to use up my beans and perhaps have a perfectly brewed cup of BulletProof Coffee every now and again, but I would not buy them again. The beans are bitter to my palate, the process takes too long and I just cannot justify the extra expense on the beans every month.
I will, however, be rocking the Brain Octane oil as often as I can and the grass-fed butter in my coffee when I feel the mood strike me or I have a particularly grueling workout ahead of (or behind) me. Kudos to Upgraded Self for creating some pretty innovative products, even though I am choosing not to use them all as Asprey had intended.
The experience was worth the money and effort in my opinion. What is more important to spend your time and money on, if not your health? The answer should be, nothing.
Have a wonderful weekend!